Set Up Email on iPhone
iOS provides two main methods for setting up email accounts on an iPhone or iPad (the steps are the same on both). The first, and the one you’re most likely to use, is the automatic route.
Adding Email Accounts Automatically
- Open the Settings app on your device (it has a silver/grey cog icon), scroll down until you find Passwords & Accounts, then tap on it.
- On the next page you’ll find the option to Add Account. Tap this, then from the menu that appears select your email provider.
- Enter your details then tap Next. Mail will check that everything is correct.
- When this is done you’ll be given the option to activate various features from your mail account – these usually include Mail, Contacts, Calendars and so forth.
- Tap the button next to the ones you want to use and they will appear in the relevant apps on your device. So, for example, adding Hotmail contacts will then make them available in the general Contacts app, and any appointments you have in your Google Calendar will sync with the Apple Calendar app.
- When you’re happy with the settings, tap Save to complete the process.
Adding Email Accounts Manually
- Should your email provider not appear on the list above, you can still set it up manually. For this, you will need to know various details, not just your address and password but also the Incoming Mail Server and Outgoing Mail Server.
- Don’t worry, though, these will all be available from your provider. Either try contacting them directly or Googling the account type and setup details.
- Once you have the information to hand, go to Settings > Passwords & Accounts > Add Account, then tap the Other option at the bottom of the list.
- Fill in the email address and password, and a description (this can be whatever you like), then tap Next. If you’re in luck then you might find that all the necessary details are completed automatically, but if that’s not the case then you’ll see a page where you can enter them.
- Select between either a POP or IMAP account (your provider will tell you which one you have), then complete the rest of the fields. When it’s all done, tap Next then Save and you should start to see messages appearing in the Mail app.