WHM stands for web host manager. Web host manager, is a powerful program that allows administrative access to the back end of cPanel. There are two versions. Basic and rootWHM which is only for dedicated servers and VPS accounts.
WHM gives you a lot of control and flexibility when managing either a few very popular and resource intensive sites, or large number of sites. It gives you the ability to resell hosting services to other people, as well as the option to create and manage multiple cPanels.
There is no way to tell if accounts on different cPanels are attached to the same WHM account which increases your privacy.
If you have multiple website that need to take credit cards, using WHM saves you a lot of time, stress and money. A reseller account is much easier to use to manage multiple cPanels that have to manage multiple accounts.
You have the ability to monitor and adjust your bandwidth and disk space, which can be key to keeping a quickly growing or popular sit from being suspended or going down due to bandwidth overages. Since you can adjust your bandwidth and only upgrade when you really need it, this can significantly lower costs.
WHM gives you tools to do the following things:
- Create, delete and suspend your cPanel accounts.
- Manage and monitor your sites (password resets).
- Access to check and change all of your domains’ DNS zones.
- The ability to configure your own customers’ support requests through cPanel.
- Permission to check the server information and status.
- Ability to create your own default page when you create a new account.
- Ability to change your client domain names and user names.
- Hop between every cPanel on your account and access/change anything that does not require SQL access.
The root owner’s WHM also has:
- Ability to change your primary cPanel username.
- Access to install SSL certificates.
- Permission to restart services (http, mail, sql, ssh).
- Ability to assign IP addresses.
- The automated backup tool.
- The reseller centre.